Associate Professor of Religion and African Studies, University of Leeds (since October 2015)
Director of the Centre for Religion and Public Life (since August 2017)
PREVIOUS ACADEMIC POSITIONS
- Lecturer in African Christianity, University of Leeds (February 2013-September 2015)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, SOAS University of London (November 2011-January 2013)
- Postdoctoral Teaching & Research Fellow, Utrecht University (2011)
- PhD in Religious Studies, Utrecht University (2011)
- MA in Religious Studies, Utrecht University (2006)
- BA in Religion & Social Work, Christelijke Hogeschool Ede (2003)
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (2015)
EXTERNAL AWARDS, GRANTS & RECOGNITION
- Newton Mobility Grant, British Academy (2016-2017). Project ‘Queering the Curriculum: LGBTI, Sexuality, and Masculinity Issues in Theology & Religious Studies in South Africa and the UK’, with Prof Sarojini Nadar (University of KwaZulu-Natal).
- Research Fellowship, Stellenbosch Institute for Advanced Study, South Africa (2016).
- Individual Research Grant, American Academy of Religion (2013). Project ‘Homosexuality, Christianity and National Identity in Postcolonial Zambia’.
- Rubicon Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (2011). Project: ‘A Saint in Times of AIDS: Religion and Masculinity Politics in Postcolonial Zambia’.
- Editor of the journal Religion and Gender (since 2011).
- Member of editorial board, Journal of the American Academy of Religion (since 2016).
- Member of the Peer Review College, Arts and Humanities Research Council (since 2017).
- Website editor, African Association for the Study of Religions (since 2014).
- Co-Chair, African Religions Group, American Academy of Religion (since 2016).
- Steering Committee Member, Men, Masculinities and Religion Group, American Academy of Religion (2016 – current).
- Co-coordinator of the international research and networking project ‘Interdisciplinary Innovations in the Study of Religion and Gender: Postcolonial, Post-secular and Queer Perspectives’, with Prof. Anne-Marie Korte (2012-2015).
- African Association for the Study of Religions (member since 2012)
- African Studies Association of the UK (member since 2014)
- American Academy of Religion (member since 2009)
- British Institute in Eastern Africa (member since 2015).
- GloPent: European Research Network on Global Pentecostalism (since 2014)
- International Association for the Study of Religion and Gender (member since 2015)
- Royal African Society (member since 2014)