Associate Professor of Religion and African Studies, University of Leeds (since October 2015)
Director of the Centre for Religion and Public Life
Director of the Leeds University Centre for African Studies
PREVIOUS ACADEMIC POSITIONS
- Lecturer in African Christianity, University of Leeds (February 2013-September 2015)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, SOAS University of London (November 2011-January 2013)
- Postdoctoral Teaching & Research Fellow, Utrecht University (2011)
- PhD in Religious Studies, Utrecht University (2011)
- MA in Religious Studies, Utrecht University (2006)
- BA in Religion & Social Work, Christelijke Hogeschool Ede (2003)
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (2015)
EXTERNAL AWARDS, GRANTS & RECOGNITION
- Collaborative Research Grant, American Academy of Religion (2018). Project: “African, Queer and Religious Studies at the Crossroads” (with Rose Mary Amenga-Etego, University of Ghana & Kwame Edwin Otu, University of Virginia).
- Newton Mobility Grant, British Academy (2016-2017). Project ‘Queering the Curriculum: LGBTI, Sexuality, and Masculinity Issues in Theology & Religious Studies in South Africa and the UK’, with Prof Sarojini Nadar (University of KwaZulu-Natal).
- Research Fellowship, Stellenbosch Institute for Advanced Study, South Africa (2016).
- Individual Research Grant, American Academy of Religion (2013). Project ‘Homosexuality, Christianity and National Identity in Postcolonial Zambia’.
- Rubicon Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (2011). Project: ‘A Saint in Times of AIDS: Religion and Masculinity Politics in Postcolonial Zambia’.
- Editor of the journal Religion and Gender (since 2011).
- Editor of the book series Routledge Critical Studies in Religion, Gender and Sexuality (since 2018).
- Member of editorial board, Reading Religion (since 2018).
- Member of the editorial board, Religion (since 2018)
- Member of the Peer Review College, Arts and Humanities Research Council (since 2017).
- Co-Chair, African Religions Unit, American Academy of Religion (since 2016).
- Website editor, African Association for the Study of Religions (since 2014).
- Steering Committee Member, Men, Masculinities and Religion Group, American Academy of Religion (2016 – current).
- African Association for the Study of Religions (member since 2012)
- African Studies Association of the UK (member since 2014)
- American Academy of Religion (member since 2009)
- British Institute in Eastern Africa (member since 2015).
- GloPent: European Research Network on Global Pentecostalism (since 2014)
- International Association for the Study of Religion and Gender (member since 2015)
- Royal African Society (member since 2014)